WARNING! If you think you have a gas leak of any kind call your Gas Utility Provider immediately.
Combustible gas is contained for a reason. So as soon as that gas explodes when it comes in contact with flame or sparks – finds a way out of an enclosed system, you’ve got a problem on your hands.
In its original chemical composition, natural gas is much like carbon monoxide in that it is colorless and odorless. However, producers of natural gas add chemicals called mercaptans, which give natural gas its characteristic rotten-egg odor. This allows for easy detection and, if smelled, should cause evacuation of the area to an outside location. Electrical appliances, lighters, or other such devices should not be used, as these can be ignition points for the escaped gas.
The Gas Piping and Technology Committee has set standards for grading natural gas leaks, Grade 1 being the most serious.
Grade 1: a leak that represents an existing or probable hazard to persons or property, and requires immediate repair or continuous action until the conditions are no longer hazardous.
Grade 2: a leak that is recognized as being non-hazardous at the time of detection, but justifies scheduled repair based on probable future hazard.
Grade 3: a leak that is non-hazardous at the time of detection and can be reasonably expected to remain non-hazardous.
If you suspect a possible gas leak in your home or business, call us right away. If you can, shut off the gas and open windows and doors to ventilate the house.